A diary of hymns and songs that underscore the Gettys’ Irish American journey. This collection is a ‘confessio’ in word and note of the musical and spiritual roots that continue to call us to the ancient paths.
We know well how a trees’ roots go down vertically beneath the soil but don’t often realize how they also reach out horizontally, sometimes several times wider than the branch width of the tree. When Psalm 1 compares the godly life to a tree planted by streams of water it is a water stream reached for by millions of people over centuries and around the world who have joined their roots together.
“For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.” (Isaiah 55:12)
This idea of intertwining roots also paints a beautiful picture of how our musical roots link. They help strengthen old shelters and blossom new trees. Over the last 20 years of writing and recording music we have leaned on this – the heritage of our Irish and Scottish roots and how they grew across to the new world where we now make our home.
This album shares the words and melodies of that journey.
This album includes the following tracks:
- This Is My Father’s World (with Runkerry Reel)
- When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
- Pass the Promise – ft. Sandra McCracken
- Amazing Grace – ft. Dana Masters and Kirk Whalum
- Waulking Song / All My Heart Rejoices (Song of Anna)
- Brightest & Best – ft. Ricky Skaggs
- Immigrant’s Song – ft. Jordyn Shellhart
- Come Thou Almighty King – ft. the Getty Girls
- It Is Well with My Soul
- How Can I Keep from Singing?
- Be Thou My Vision
- Farewell to Ballymoney
- And Are You Sleeping?
- In Christ Alone – ft. Alison Krauss